Louisville Dental Center offers our patients the best oral care possible. From Crowns and Bridges to full denture replacements and tooth extractions. A brief summary of each of our services is included below, but if you have further questions or concerns, please give our office a call at (330) 875-2222 and our knowledgable staff will answer all your questions the best they can.
A dental crown or cap is a restoration that can be used for a number of purposes. Most commonly it is to restore a tooth that is significantly damaged or decayed. The crown is custom made to fit over the entire tooth, starting at the gum line, in order to restore the original shape and size. Crowns can also be used for other restorative and cosmetic purposes including:
• Protection of a tooth following a root canal
• To anchor or attach a dental bridge
• To cover and complete a dental implant
• To improve the appearance of a tooth
If you are looking for a non-removable tooth replacement, a bridge may be the option for you. A dental bridge is a fixed restoration, meaning that is non-removable. Dental bridges can be used to replace either one missing tooth or several teeth that are missing in a row. Dental bridges are very secure and stable. When in place, a bridge can improve your smile by:
• Preventing the remaining natural teeth from shifting in the mouth
• Improving your facial volume and shape
• Enhancing the appearance of your smile
• Restoring your ability to chew, eat, and speak as usual
• Alleviating stress on the bite
Dentures are removable appliance used to replace multiple missing teeth. If you are missing several or all of your teeth, dentures may be what you need to restore the function, appearance and overall health of your smile. There are two kinds of dentures:
• Complete dentures are used to replace all of your teeth. The Dr. May recommend a complete denture to replace all of the teeth in both arches or just one, depending on your needs.
• Partial dentures are used if you are missing multiple teeth but still have remaining natural teeth. A partial often has a thin metal framework or clasps that attach to the natural teeth for a secure fit.
A new denture should fit snuggly in your mouth. Over time, the denture may become loose due to weight loss, weight gain or water retention. During a denture reline, we will shave off the underside of the dentures and replace it with a plastic material to better fit your smile. With our on-site dental lab we are able to complete this procedure the same day.
In certain cases, tooth extraction may be the best option for restoring the health of your smile. In that case the dentist may recommend tooth extraction if:
• A tooth is so severely decayed or damaged that a dental restoration such as a crown or filling will not effectively restore the tooth
• There are too many teeth to properly fit in the mouth
• Infection has destroyed a significant portion of the tooth and supporting bone structure
In addition, we may recommend extraction if you and your dentist have decided that extraction is necessary to proceed with denture treatment. We offer several tooth replacement options, including dentures, partial dentures, and bridges, to restore your smile following the tooth extraction.